Monday, February 15, 2016

Stake Conference

Hello friends!
Have y'all had a good week? I hope so!
We had a great week here! 

This week we had a specialized training with President Baker. It was so good! We talked about the importance and benefit of role playing lessons. President opened the meeting by saying, "We're going to role play our little hearts out today." And we did. In total, we did 8 role plays of the Plan of Salvation and Family History and we watched 2 more. By the end of that 2 and a half hours my head hurt so bad! But it was really good!

We had the best miracle happen last week! We found a whole family to teach!!!! On Wednesday night we had planned a lesson with an investigator and found the perfect member to come with us and everything was going to be perfect! But then we got to her house and she wasn't home. I was so upset, I partly blamed myself because she asked us to text her an hour before the appointment and remind her, and we had totally forgotten. So, we started for our backup, a couple the we had met a few weeks ago Jose and Maria. I was still upset and didn't really want to go see them because they hadn't shown very much interest the times that we had talked to them before. Thank heavens I have such a great companion that made me get out of the car, because they were both home and they let us right in! We had a really great lesson with them and we found out that the wife had already been taught before and even had a Book of Mormon. They had a lot of questions about things like babies being baptized and why The Fall doesn't apply to kids under 8. We told them that we would come back with more answers. We are planning on showing them how to find the answers to their questions through the Book of Mormon in our next lesson. It's so perfect! It's incredible because I had just fasted the Sunday before that we'd be able to find a family! It just reminded me again, that I can't ever judge who I think is interested and who isn't.

The next day, we were eating with the Johnston family. Just a little over a year ago Sister Johnston was completely inactive and Brother Johnston wasn't a member, now they are both fully active and they just got sealed last week. While we were eating, Sister Johnston said, "I just can't even imagine if those missionaries never knocked on our door." That made me think a lot. I have only helped one person be baptized on my mission, and sometimes it's really hard to want to keep going when I feel like everyone always says no and closes their door, but I don't know what my actions will lead to. I can't stop just because I think the people will say no. Only God knows and maybe one day the people I have taught will accept the gospel, but if we don't try to share it with them we will never know and they will never have the opportunity to use their agency to choose.

We had Stake Conference this week! It was so amazing, I love stake conference! I theme that I noticed was charity. That's probably because I really just need to work on it and God was trying to give me a hint because the conference was actually about the 10 commandments...
President Baker said something that I really liked though, he said, "We all need more coaches and cheerleaders and fewer critics." That is very true. He also talked about the huge expression of charity it is letting others change and grow. I think that goes a lot back to forgiveness too, we all make mistakes and it's a huge comfort to know that I can forgive and forget about it because Jesus Christ, through His atonement, will make everything right in end. Anyway, conference was super good! The spirit was super strong and I learned a ton!
Here are a few quotes from our hilarious leaders:
"I'm so grateful that we get to sleep, because everyday I get to wake up and try again. Sometimes I wake up and say, "Get up and try again, stupid"." -Pres. Baker
"...I clutched the bag of chocolate covered potato chips to my chest and then thought, "how did I get to this point in my life?"" -Pres. Judd (stake president)
"Bears are big and mean and they have big teeth and claws and are all growly. Growly!" Pres. Judd
"Mom, I have fallen in love with the people of North Carolina!" -Sister Baker
"Last year I was at a Stake Conference and I reached out to give a sister a handshake and she pulled me into a hug and said, 'You're in the South now honey.  Here we give hugs!'" -Sister Baker

Good times... The best part is that President Judd is one of those people that says the funniest things with a completely straight face and just keeps going with his talk.
So anyway, it was a good week. I hope y'all had a great Valentine's day! We did! We watched the Restoration, in Spanish, and ate chocolate for language study;) #sistermissionarythings
Have a great week! 
Love y'all!
Hermana Fields
"And then there's our old friend the fat man walking"

No comments:

Post a Comment